A recent ABC ‘Four Corners’ program “SWALLING IT” focussed on multivitamins and synthetic supplements with two manufacturers highlighted. The role of pharmacists was also under the microscope, as was homeopathy to a smaller extent.
The quotes below are from the ‘Four Corners’ video and the written commentary on their website.
You can view the video and read the commentary by – CLICKING HERE
Very expensive urine – multivitamins and synthetic supplements
The following remarks were made by those interviewed by 4 Corners:
- “What bothers me is the injustice of it. The people are buying things in good faith, and a system that seems to be saying we think this works, but there is a good chance that the product does nothing. A well informed person can go to a health food store or chemist, look at all the shelves and they will have no idea which is a good product and which isn’t a good product” Find this quote 27.45 min
- “You are asking people to spend money on something that won’t help them.” 0:22 min
- “You are wasting your money mostly. There are a few instances where it actually might be dangerous.” 0:30 min
- “It really is crazy stuff. You are pissing the money down the toilet for no benefit.” 0:35 min
- “…most of them [studies] have got evidence that they [multivitamins and supplements] do nothing” 26:30 min
- “…there is no benefit from multivitamins, minerals etcetera….” 9:59 min
- “What a lot of Australians have is very expensive urine.” Australian Medical Association 3:05 min
How can the average person know what is right and what isn’t?
- Consumers are not in a position of being able to “. . . tell the difference between what works and what doesn’t” 1.14min
- “In Australia there is a strong emphasis on safety and we do that very well. As far as I can see there is less stress on – does it do what it claims to do.” 3.10 min
- “. . . because none of our diets are perfect, people are making it up with supplements [synthetic ones]” 1.58 min
- “What bothers me is the injustice of it. The people are buying things in good faith, and a system that seems to be saying we think this works but there is a god chance that the product does nothing. A well informed person can go to a health food store or chemist, look at the shelves and they will have no idea which is a good product and which isn’t a good product” 27.45 min
- “. . . prevention is clearly the best approach” 6.39 min
- People are taking them [ multivitamins and other synthetic supplements] “. . . just in case.” 2.45 min
All this is happening because people want to stay healthy but unfortunately they are purchasing the wrong products and don’t know they are wasting their money. Manufacturers are capitalizing on people’s natural urge to replace those nutrients that have been lost from both our natural foods and of course from processed foods.
The right products are those that fully replace the nutritional ingredients increasingly lost in our whole food diets over the past decades. Fortunately all these missing nutrients can still actually be found from other 100% natural food sources – they exist in relatively high concentrations in special types of fruit, vegetable and other whole foods. If you really think about it, each of those lost nutrients are complex and can’t be replicated in the laboratory. Also no one has exclusive rights over their use. These are the products that are able to be made accessible to the market generally. People should be consuming these superfoods/phytonutrients/ nutraceuticals, not be taking synthetics.
In marked contrast man-made synthetics are manufactured in a factory mostly as isolates. They are often marketed as products exclusive to the supplier, unlike natural foods which are available to everyone. Individual suppliers are not able to have exclusive rights as is the case for any whole food. As the above quotes in effect say, “What a lot of Australians have is very expensive urine”. For manufacturers and pharmacists it is “… now the new goldmine”.
What this all says is – don’t take multivitamins and other synthetic supplements. Instead find something that will truly give you the opportunity for a healthy life.
The solution is NATURAL superfoods/phytonutients/nutraceuticals.
Look for an alternative source on our next – Blog Post
See also Dean’s LinkedIn posts – https://au.linkedin.com/in/deankuhl
and if you are a LinkedIn member you could join our LinkedIn Group
“Healthy Food-Healthy Life”